NASA offers a travel grant of €500 to help defray the cost of travel and accommodation for research trips to the United States. The grant is named after Professor Rob Kroes, former NASA and EAAS president and a great promoter of internationalization. The grant is available for MA and PhD students only. Only NASA members are eligible to apply.
The regulations are as follows:
- Applicants must submit a 500-word proposal outlining their research project, an itinerary of their intended research trip to the United States, and a CV;
- The deadline for submitting applications is 31 December 2021;
- All applications should be sent to the NASA board at email@example.com;
- A committee formed by the Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer of NASA will assess the applications and announce the successful candidate by 15 January 2022;
- Within a month of completing their research trips, each successful candidate will write a brief report (+/-1000 words) on their experience, which will be placed both in the NASA Newsletter and on the NASA website;
- The grant should be spent in the year it is awarded.
One of our primary goals is to encourage and assist young scholars in American Studies. This is especially important in times of economic hardship, when funding for research in the humanities is squeezed. Since 2010, NASA has awarded grants of €500 each year to assist Dutch students who are studying for an MA or PhD to undertake research in the United States.
In order to sustain this initiative – and, we hope, to expand it – NASA is giving members the opportunity to contribute to the Rob Kroes Scholarship Fund. This ring-fenced fund is dedicated solely to the provision of research grants to students at Dutch universities. You may make a one-time contribution or, if you choose, a regular donation. Donors can be published in the NASA-Nieuwsbrief, although you may of course choose to give anonymously. Please give generously! Donation may be transferred directly to the NASA account (IBAN: NL23 INGB000 2976924 and BIC: INGBNL2A). Please indicate whether or not you want your name to appear on the annual list of donors.